Turmeric originates in India and has been used for thousands of years as a spice (it’s what gives Curry it’s yellow color) and as a medicinal herb. It’s not only one of the most studied medicinal herbs in the world, but it has also been scientifically proven to fight and potentially heal disease. Studies that compared conventional medicine to Turmeric, showed that the results EQUAL and in some cases, OUTWEIGH the results of pharmaceutical medications. Sounds crazy right, an herb fighting and healing chronic illness? Like I’ve said before – FOOD IS MEDICINE and we now have the research, studies, and results to prove it.
One of the main reasons why Turmeric is such a powerful herb is due to the Curcumin found within it. Curcumin is a strong antioxidant that also helps reduce inflammation within the body. Which in turn helps manage any aches, pains, or inflammation you may have (even the symptoms of arthritis)! Meaning you can swap out your aspirin for a Turmeric supplement instead. Studies on Curcumin have also shown that is has the potential to prevent specific types of tumors from growing. Which is a HUGE deal in terms of fighting cancer. Think about it – having the option to try a more holistic route and not have to deal with the negative side effects of chemotherapy. That would be life changing for SO many people. Why is fighting inflammation within your body so important? In our society, studies have shown that inflammation plays a major role in chronic disease. Another shocking fact – most chronic diseases can prevented and potentially reversed if you change your diet and lifestyle.
*Two things to mention about Turmeric/Curcumin: 1) it is poorly absorbed into our body and our bloodstream. Therefore, when consuming Turmeric, it’s important to add some black pepper in with it to help your body better absorb it (if you’re taking a supplement, check the bottle to see if black pepper is included) 2) it can interact with certain medications. If you want to begin adding it to your daily routine, make sure you consult with your doctor prior.
Turmeric is truly incredible, it offers a wide range of health benefits and can be used in SO many different ways. Some of the other ways it can be used:
1. As part of a skincare regimen (the anti-inflammatory properties have shown to have a positive impact on skin conditions) *Face Mask Recipe coming soon!
2. To help manage Diabetes (studies have shown that Curcumin helps reverse issues with insulin resistance and hyperglycemia)
3. As a treatment for digestive issues (such as IBD – inflammatory bowel disease. Studies showed that Curcumin was able to replace their corticosteroids and helped heal their gut.)
4. To help lower your risk of heart disease (Curcumin improves the lining of blood vessels called the “Endothelium”.)
5. As a preventative for Alzheimer’s disease (as we all know, there is no cure for Alzheimer’s, however, studies show that Curcumin has the ability to cross the blood-brain barrier. More studies need to be done, but some have shown that Curcumin can help clear Amyloid plaques, which is one of the main causes of the disease itself.)
If you guys have any other herbs, spices or food that you’d like to learn more about please message me!